The Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace has now been open for 8 weeks. We can all agree that the troubled roll-out of the website has been frustrating. However, there is good news to know and share:
- The website is getting better. While contractors work to fix the remaining bugs in the system, we are hearing that most people are now able to access the site and shop their options. We expect the system to continue improving over the next few weeks.
- The plans in the Marketplace are good plans, with good prices and good coverage, and multiple choices in all markets. And hundreds of thousands of Missourians qualify for financial help to bring down the costs even further.
- Hundreds of people statewide have been trained to provide in-person help in navigating the Marketplace and purchasing a plan. To find in-person help near you, go to localhelp.healthcare.gov or www.covermissouri.org.
- We are starting to hear of successful enrollment stories in Missouri. We hope to share these stories with our supporters soon.
- The health care law’s new protections remain: No more denials for pre-existing conditions. No more being charged more for being a woman. No more cancellations when you get sick. These new protections will dramatically change the way the health insurance market works.
There is much work left to be done to make the promise of the new law a reality for Missourians. Most critically, our legislature needs to expand Medicaid for the 200,000 Missourians who don’t qualify for any help until we pass expansion. But at this season of thanksgiving, it is also worth pausing a moment to be grateful for the progress we’ve made.