Click here to take action now!
Missouri has an opportunity to expand Medicaid to provide health insurance to approximately 300,000 Missourians who earn up to 138% of the federal poverty level, or about $26,000 for a family of three.
Over 25 states have already expanded Medicaid, but Missouri hasn’t. We need our legislators to pass Medicaid Expansion.
Because Missouri hasn’t expanded Medicaid, hundreds of thousands of people are left without any health insurance options.
Lots of people do have access to health insurance in Missouri: Those who get it through a job, those who get discounts through the new health reform system, even people in prison. Who’s left behind? Low-income people and families, most of whom are working or going to school.
Expanding Medicaid will mean:
- 300,000 of our low-income neighbors, most of whom are working, will get health care.
- We will close a huge coverage gap. Currently in Missouri, childless adults are unable to qualify for basic health care through Medicaid, and a single mother of two can’t qualify if she makes anything more than $3,612 per year – just 18% of the poverty line.
- Billions of dollars of Missouri tax dollars will come back into our state.
- We will save and create 24,000 jobs statewide.
- We will protect our hospitals from devastating budget cuts, which will result in loss of jobs and services for everyone. In just the past six months, hospitals have either cut or kept vacant more than 3,000 jobs statewide. Expanding Medicaid will bring back these jobs and create thousands more.
- People with mental illness will be able to access the care they need.
- Children will have healthier parents.
- We will save lives. As many as 700 Missourians will die each year until the state expands Medicaid. People without insurance live sicker and they die younger,
Expanding Medicaid benefits all of us.
CLICK HERE to tell your legislators to expand Medicaid.